James CharisSenior Psychologist BPsychArts(Hons), MPsych(Clinical), MAPS
I am a registered psychologist with over 30 years clinical experience across public private in-patient and out-patient health settings.
Have worked with clients across the lifespan to address a broad range of concerns, such as: depression, anxiety, OCD, borderline conditions, trauma, eating disorders, relationship issues, identity and self-development.
My experience has enabled me to develop a collaborative, eclectic and multi-disciplinary approach to my practice; with a focus on tailoring evidence-based assessments and strategies that best fit a client’s unique circumstances and goals.
I value empathy as a means of understanding a client’s current experience; and use where applicable cognitive-behavioural therapies to facilitate pragmatic outcomes; whilst also recognising the importance of addressing the narratives, underlying beliefs, schemas and/or natural factors that constrain sustainable change and well-being.
- Psychological Assessments
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Relationship and Family Counselling
- Masters of Psychology
- Graduate Diploma of Family Therapy
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
- Melbourne University
- Monash University
- Latrobe University
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Psychology Board)
- Former Manager and Psychologist of the Psychiatric Community Assessment and Treatment Team, at the Western Health Care Network
- Former Research Consultant on suicide prevention at the Asia-Pacific Coroners Society
- Former Research Consultant on reducing motor vehicle pursuit related fatalities, at the Department of Justice
- Former Family Therapist, at the Albert Road Clinic
- Former Psychologist, at the Royal Children’s Hospital
- Former Psychologist, at the St Kilda Community Health Centre